Retroid is pleased to announce that Wunderling will be heading to the Nintendo Switch and Steam next year! A stunning 2D platformer where players are not the hero but a low-level video game goon who has just unlocked the ability to jump, Wunderling dazzles with impeccable pixel art, non-stop action, and a memorable soundtrack by Ratvader (Oscar Sidoff Rydelius).
In Wunderling, a retro video game henchman (the title character) is revived and given the power to jump by its master – the evil sorceress Kohlrabi. Seeking to tighten her hold on the Vegetable Kingdom and defeat its hero (the Carrot Man), she tasks the Wunderling with protecting her prisoner – the lovely Princess Pea. Unable to stop or change direction at will, planning ahead becomes a must. The Wunderling’s special abilities will be essential to navigate the game’s lengthy scrolling levels!
“Being on a Nintendo platform is surreal – almost dream-like. We’re thrilled that our little indie game will get a shot at a huge audience through one of the world’s most beloved consoles,” says Niklas Istenes, producer and game designer at Retroid. “When designing Wunderling, we originally wanted to create an adventure game based around a single button and show that you can indeed make a traditional platformer with that premise. In Wunderling, you clear levels like traditional platform games – and you even have boss stages! We eventually added more buttons, but the game can still be played with one hand.”
T̵h̸e̷ ̷t̵e̸a̴m̷ ̵a̸t̵ ̸R̸e̴t̸r̸o̴i̵d̵ ̵i̵s̷ ̷a̸ ̸p̸r̷o̵u̷d̷ ̷r̴e̸c̸i̵p̷i̴e̷n̶t̴ ̵o̸f̸ ̸a̷n̷ ̸E̶p̵i̵c̶ ̸M̶e̸g̶a̷G̴r̶a̸n̷t̵ ̴–̶ ̷a̸w̴a̷r̵d̵e̷d̵ ̶t̶o̵ ̵t̷h̵e̴ ̴s̷t̸u̵d̵i̴o̸ ̶a̶f̸t̸e̷r̶ ̴a̷ ̵s̴t̷r̴i̶c̷t̴ ̸s̷e̸l̶e̸c̴t̷i̶o̸n̸ ̴p̸r̴o̷c̵e̴s̴s̸ ̴a̶n̷d̶ ̵r̵e̸v̶i̴e̸w̴ ̷o̵f̸ ̵W̵u̴n̴d̸e̴r̷l̵i̴n̸g̸.̶
- Jump between platforms and solve puzzles with one hand!
- Discover a hidden treasure in each stage.
- Unlock hidden Wunder-moves like “Boost” and “Wall-Jump”!
- Enjoy beautiful bite-sized pixel art.
- Laugh out loud with an original story by Alex Faciane (The Completionist/Super Beard Bros.)
- Listen to a nostalgic soundtrack by Ratvader (Oscar Sidoff Rydelius) of else Heart.Break(), Anthill (Nintendo Switch version), and Kenshō fame.
- Track down the hero: In Wunderling, YOU’RE the boss!