Monster Crown launches in Steam® Early Access tomorrow. The dark monster taming game is a one-man project developed by Jason Walsh, the founder of Studio Aurum. What started as a dream in the late 90’s, inspired by classics such as Dragon Warrior Monster 2, Keitai Denjū Telefang and the first two generations of Pokémon, is now a monster taming game turned reality. The dark story of Monster Crown dives into the good and evil of the human race and reveals a lot of the developer’s inner self. In an in-depth interview with Jason, he touches the subject of his motivation and inspiration behind Monster Crown and he shares why this project is so dear to him.
True cross breeds and online battling
To become a competitive battler in Monster Crown, players need to breed the perfect monster. When they begin their journey on Crown Island, there are over 200 base monsters roaming the wild. Unlike here on earth, it’s the monsters that rule mankind. Players will have to make pacts with these monsters to get them on their side. Only then they can breed these monsters to create new offspring that is a true mix of both parents. Each new species is unique, since appearance, moves, stats and even the moves the monster is capable of learning are all inherited. A brilliant breeder may find their creations in high demand by competitive battlers and collectors.
About Monster Crown
Unravel Crown Island’s dark, cruel story as you create your own monster legacy. With a history of sadistic rulers and heroic saviors, the island faces another threat in the form of a malicious young woman seeking power. It’s up to you and the monsters you make pacts with to prevent the return of tyranny. Will your decisions make you a savior, or a dark messiah?
- Make pacts with monsters to receive their protection in return for shelter.
- Breed and fuse over 200 base monsters to create your own new species.
- Travel across Crown Island with your monster allies to uncover a dark world.
- Make a pivotal decision that will drastically change the ending and post-game.
- P̵l̷a̶y̵ ̷o̷n̶l̶i̴n̷e̷ ̸t̵o̴ ̶b̵a̸t̷t̴l̶e̵ ̵a̴n̵d̸ ̴t̷r̸a̵d̸e̷,̵ ̵a̸n̵d̵ ̶h̵a̷v̶e̵ ̶y̵o̷u̷r̴ ̷n̴e̸w̷ ̵s̴p̷e̷c̵i̵e̶s̶ ̵r̶e̶a̵c̷h̵ ̴a̷c̷r̵o̷s̶s̵ ̶t̸h̵e̷ ̶g̶l̶o̸b̶e̶.̶