Godhood, the deep management game where players create and run their own religion, has raised itself to a higher plane of existence with its full launch on Steam and GOG.com today. After 12 months of hatching in Early Access, Abbey Games has worked hard to fulfill its promise to release their unique strategy game with a host of new content, features, and mechanics.
While the launch of Godhood into Steam Early Access in the summer of 2019 was favorable, Abbey Games saw plenty of opportunities to clarify its vision, add depth, and improve the game. In the course of a year, the team released seven massive free updates, listening closely to the community and allowing Godhood to come into its own as a complex but subtle god game. One where the player doesn’t actively interact with their worshippers through throwing lightning bolts or moving mountains, but indirectly through their dreams, their practices, their shrines, and their beliefs.
“When we launched Godhood in Early Access, it had a bit of an identity crisis,” said Manuel Kerssemakers of Abbey Games. “Development was a challenge, and we definitely hit some snags along the way, including having to downsize our studio. With a skeleton crew and copious amount of faith, we grew Godhood into what we wanted it to be: a niche, but entirely original religion management game. We want to thank all the tireless players who kept coming back update after update, supporting us with their constructive feedback!”
Godhood allows the player to become an enterprising deity, who can:
- Create and shape their own religion from scratch, choosing from over 50 Tenets and 25 Traditions for their worshippers to follow.
- Select overarching Commandments which guide a religion’s focus and playstyle, from the sect-like options offered by Madness, to Greed or the heartwarming and kind Generosity.
- Recruit a variety of Disciples and send them on ritual combat – the Sacraments – against “heretical” opponents. Players can boost their heroes’ power in various tactical ways by visiting them in their dreams beforehand.
- Build temples and cities, and make sure their followers are happy and their Disciples grow strong – regardless if they are cannibals, cat worshippers, or lost-in-thought philosophers.
- E̶x̴p̴l̵o̷r̸e̷ ̷a̴ ̶v̸a̷s̷t̵ ̸n̶e̶w̶ ̷c̴a̷m̴p̵a̴i̴g̷n̵,̴ ̸w̸i̴t̷h̸ ̴e̶a̶c̶h̴ ̷r̵u̵n̵ ̸o̶f̶f̵e̶r̷i̵n̴g̸ ̴b̴e̴t̸w̴e̴e̷n̴ ̵3̴ ̵a̵n̵d̸ ̶9̶ ̵h̴o̶u̸r̴s̷ ̴o̶f̷ ̸p̴l̵a̷y̸t̷i̴m̸e̶.̵ ̷T̴h̸e̴ ̸r̶e̷p̸l̵a̴y̸a̷b̸l̶e̵ ̵c̶a̷m̶p̸a̷i̵g̴n̴ ̷f̷e̷a̴t̵u̷r̷e̸s̷ ̵m̵u̷l̴t̴i̵p̵l̵e̸ ̵i̴s̷l̸a̶n̷d̷s̸ ̴w̴i̷t̶h̴ ̵t̴h̴e̶m̴e̶d̴ ̵o̴p̴p̶o̴n̵e̶n̸t̶s̵ ̵w̸h̶i̸c̵h̷ ̶h̸a̵v̵e̵ ̷t̷o̵ ̶b̶e̵ ̷c̷o̸n̵v̴e̷r̸t̶e̵d̸ ̵o̴n̵ ̷t̷h̸e̷ ̷p̷l̷a̷y̸e̷r̸’̷s̷ ̶p̴a̷t̷h̷ ̵t̶o̴ ̴g̴r̵e̵a̵t̷n̵e̷s̶s̷.̷ ̵
New and returning Godhood players will find the following series of changes waiting for them. More information about the high variety of improvements and updates can be found here.