A Painter’s Tale tells the story of the tiny Italian village of Curon Venosta by mixing reality and fiction. The old Curon was flooded by the waters of Lake Reschen in 1950 due to the construction of a dam. What lies beneath the famous bell tower still emerging from the lake?
A Painter’s Tale: Curon, 1950is a story about love and resistance, a narrative adventure game about historical memory. The bell tower that comes out of the lake is the last memento of the old Südtirolvillage of Curon, flooded by the waters of Lake Reschen in 1950 due to the construction of a dam, despite the protest of the citizens. The plans for the dam started during the Fascist era, opposing the interests of a big industrial group to the wellbeing of the villagers, who were forced to leave their homes and pastures.
The main character of the game is a painter visiting today’s Curon Venosta, the new village build after the flooding. The painter is dragged into the lake by a mysterious woman and wakes up in the past, in the old village of Curon as it was before the flooding. Around him, the villagers who witnessed the tragic event at the time. A Painter’s Tale: Curon, 1950 is not a documentary, but a tale where history and fiction overlap.
- Explore the old village of Curon, reproduced with the voxel technique starting from the scale model preserved in the Alta Val Venosta Museum.
- An original story that combines historical facts and elements of fiction.
- Meet the inhabitants of Curon and relive the events that led to the flooding of the old village.
- Multiple choice dialogues let you decide how to behave with the villagers.
- Play mini games while you progress with the story.
- Unlock and collect information sheets about the history of Curon and the traditions of the South Tyrol.
- Featuring actual oil paintings and charcoal drawings.
The history of Curon is made of conflicts, clashes and distances between people, between the Italian and the German cultures, between progress and traditions. The voxel technique is used to mark this narrative and historical conflict and to put an illusory distance between the player and the story. Reality collides with voxels in A Painter’s Tale.
The game has been developed by Monkeys Tales Studio in collaboration with IVIPRO (Italian Videogame Program).