Tactical Troops: Anthracite Shift, a turn-based strategy about a squad of soldiers on an extraterrestrial planet, will debut on Steam on April 15th 2021. Players can expect a 30-hour long single player storyline and 24 maps for online and local multiplayer.
The year is 2130. Sedvan’s spheres, advanced teleportation devices, have activated themselves after decades of remaining dormant. Tactical Troops, a unit of interplanetary mercenaries, are called for what seems like a routine mission on planet Anthracite. This excluded world turns out to hold dangers nobody expected.
In Tactical Troops: Anthracite Shift military squads fight against each other and the planet’s dangerous fauna. What sets the QED games’ titleapart from other turn-based strategies is that units move on a girdless map. Teleportation is an important aspect of both the story and the gameplay. It adds new tactical options – transporting troops around the battlefield, moving fired rounds or thrown grenades. Teleports can be used as cover, which is another element in Tactical Troops’ combat system.
The 41 campaign missions are strongly influenced by sci-fi cult classics from the 80s with over the top explosions and memorable one-liners. Multiplayer skirmishes resemble a mixture of Worms, Valkyria Chronicles and X-COM. In both game modes players are confronted with challenging opponents, powered by Grail – an AI technology developed by QED Games.
- Tactical turn-based strategy with girdles movement – soldiers can gain positional advantage with no restrictions.
- Physics-based combat – each shot or grenade throw has to be manually aimed, eliminating the frustrating RNG, known from other tactical strategies.
- Teleportation – teleports scattered around the battlefield are a powerful tool for flanking opponents, taking cover and even shooting from unexpected angles.
- Advanced AI – thanks to the Grail technology, AI opponents are challenging and behave differently, depending whether they are animals, robots or soldiers.
- Vast squad customization options – a wide variety of futuristic weapons and several character classes allow to adapt the player’s squad to their playstyle.
Tactical Troops: Anthracite Shift will release on Steam for 14,99 USD. Add the game to your wishlist here.