Publisher Big Sugar and developer BerserkBoy Games are thrilled to announce Berserk Boy for PC, Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S. The game is scheduled to launch Q4 2022. A wildly colourful and exuberant 2D action-platformer, Berserk Boy is the premiere title from developer BerserkBoy Games, and introduces players to Kei, aka Berserk Boy, a young hero who has the power to change into multiple elemental forms. Berserk Boy has an authentic, lovingly crafted retro aesthetic with a visual style influenced by the classic look of Sega Genesis/Mega Drive games, and is headlined by a pounding 16-bit soundtrack from Sonic Mania composer, Tee Lopes. Tight platforming, gorgeously illustrated cut-scenes, a variety of play-styles, and a rewarding upgrade system ensures Berserk Boy offers a fresh, enjoyable experience for new and veteran players.
In development since late 2019, Berserk Boy is the first project to come from the aptly named, BerserkBoy Games. A six-strong global collective, the team is spread across Japan, United States, Indonesia, and the UK. Studio founder, lead dev, pixel artist, and animator, Zu Ehtisham, explains why he wants to make a 2D platformer, and how Berserk Boy is going to hit the mark: “I’m a huge fan of the genre. It’s where most of my favourite characters and franchises come from. Mega Man, Sonic, Pulseman, Gunvolt… I want to put Berserk Boy’s name up there as well!” “Getting the aesthetic right is absolutely paramount. As a team, and from any player feedback we’ve had so far, we believe we’re on-track for capturing that old-school Sega vibe,” says Ehtisham. “We want to nail the ‘feel’ so it’s satisfying to play, and to strike the right balance between fun and challenge. It’s important players can complete the game, and feel like a superhero while they’re doing it.”
About the game
Berserk Boy is a vibrant, retro-inspired 2D action platformer that lets you… GO BERSERK! Change into different forms and use the power of Lightning, Fire, Earth, Air, and Ice as you race through stylish stages in a heroic battle to save the planet from the evil Dr. Genos!
- Change into different Berserk forms: Merge with the five Berserk Force Orbs – Lightning, Fire, Earth, Air, and Ice – and absorb their unique abilities!
- Go Berserk! Chain together combos to fill your Berserk Meter and trigger a form’s special attack! Upgrade and become even more powerful!
- Explore New Hope City and beyond: Jump, dash, slam, and slide through multiple sprawling stages! Find alternate paths and hidden collectibles!
- A modern adventure with a retro feel: Slick and stylish platforming action inspired by a love for the genre greats! Play for big scores and fast times!
- Music by Sonic Mania composer Tee Lopes: Full original soundtrack pumping with high-energy 16-bit nostalgia! Enjoy the beats as you Go Berserk!